The Hamas aid hostage deal surfaced on Sunday as Hamas announced it would allow the Red Cross to deliver aid to hostages. However, the group set firm conditions: Israel must stop airstrikes and open permanent humanitarian corridors.
According to Israeli officials, around 50 hostages remain in Gaza. Notably, only 20 are believed to be alive. Until now, humanitarian agencies have had no access. Meanwhile, Hamas released a disturbing video showing hostage Evyatar David digging his own grave. His visible emaciation shocked viewers worldwide.
As expected, international reactions were swift. France, Germany, the U.K., and the U.S. condemned the video. In response, the UN Security Council scheduled a special session for Tuesday. Furthermore, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he asked the Red Cross to offer assistance to the hostages.
Nonetheless, the Hostages Families Forum dismissed Hamas’ offer. The group demanded the hostages’ immediate release. It also emphasized Hamas’ responsibility for their care. “Each death will be on Hamas,” their statement read.
In parallel, Gaza’s humanitarian situation continues to deteriorate. On Sunday, six more people died from starvation or malnutrition, raising the total to 175. Disturbingly, 93 of the dead were children. The health ministry in Gaza confirmed these figures.
Although Israel allowed four UN fuel trucks into Gaza on Sunday, the needs remain dire. These trucks are meant to support hospitals, bakeries, and emergency kitchens. Meanwhile, Egypt’s Al Qahera TV reported that two more trucks carrying diesel were on standby.
Fuel shortages have crippled Gaza’s hospitals and food distribution centers. Since March, Israel limited fuel shipments to pressure Hamas. However, growing international pressure forced Israel to ease some restrictions. Recently, it approved air drops, opened protected routes, and paused fighting in some zones.
Despite these measures, UN agencies say the aid remains insufficient. They argue that only large-scale land deliveries can prevent famine. Moreover, about 1,200 trucks carrying 23,000 tons of aid have entered Gaza in the past week, according to COGAT. Still, many trucks remain undelivered because aid groups have not moved them to distribution centers.
Additionally, looting has become a major problem. Hamas reports that both civilians and armed groups have stolen supplies from arriving trucks. As a result, aid distribution has stalled in several locations.
The town of Tawila illustrates the scale of the crisis. Over 500,000 displaced people are now living there, most of them since April. Reports indicate that 90% lack access to safe water, and many eat only one meal a day. Consequently, cholera is spreading rapidly.
Doctors Without Borders said it treated 2,500 cholera cases since mid-June. At least 52 people have died. Rainy conditions and limited sanitation are making matters worse. Moreover, vaccine delivery delays have increased the health risk.
Israeli airstrikes on Sunday killed at least 80 more people, according to local health authorities. Some of the victims were trying to reach aid centers. The Palestinian Red Crescent confirmed that one of its staff members died in a strike on its office.
The Gaza conflict began on October 7, 2023. On that day, Hamas killed over 1,200 people in Israel and took 251 hostages. Since then, Israel’s air and ground campaign has killed more than 60,000 Palestinians, according to health officials in Gaza.
